What is your English level? Let's find out by taking the mmmEnglish online test!
Learn more about my English SPeaking community for women: https://bit.ly/hey-lady-trial
I often get asked by my students, “How do I find out my English level? How do I know if I’m intermediate or advanced?”
Of course, if you have taken English exams or studied at a language school, you would have some idea about what your English level is! But, perhaps that was a while ago… Perhaps it’s been *years* since you last sat an English exam and you don’t really know where your skills are at today.
Well.. That’s why I created this test to help you get an understanding of your English level. There are 45 questions, starting at a basic English level, moving through to intermediate and finishing with questions that test advanced English skills.
Do not take it too seriously – it’s meant to be a bit of fun! I’ll explain how it works in the video, but make sure you take note of the questions you get right in each section!
———- TIMESTAMPS ———-
0:00 What's my English level? (intro)
0:48 How this English test works
2:03 Hey Lady! English Speaking Community
2:56 Basic (A1-A2)
6:23 Intermediate (B1-B2)
10:30 Advanced (C1-C2)
16:15 What I think about English levels
CLICK HERE to read the full lesson transcript.
More English lessons recommended for you:
It's a question that my students ask me all the time. How do I find out my English level?
Well firstly nothing will beat a personal English level assessment with a qualified English teacher but I wanted to help you to get an idea about your level and find out where you need to improve your skills.
So I've created an online English level test that you can do right here today.
Are you ready to find out your English level? Let's go!
To help you find out your English level today, I've created an English test that gets progressively more challenging at every step. The first fifteen questions are basic levels. You should get most of them right.
If you get more than five of these wrong in this section then you're probably at about this level.
Then the next fifteen questions are intermediate. If you get more than five of these questions wrong then your level is going to be somewhere around intermediate, upper-intermediate.
Then the last fifteen questions are advanced and these should really challenge you.
If you get less than five of these answers wrong wow! Amazing! You're quite an advanced English learner, particularly when it comes to your vocabulary range and your use of grammar.
But here's the thing even if you're not an advanced English learner yet, I still think that you should watch through to the end of the test so that you can learn some new vocabulary and some new expressions as you go.
All of it is going to help you to improve your English and push closer to that next level.
Hey ladies! Do you want to practise English in real conversations? With really lovely speaking partners?
Stop watching lessons at home on your own and come join us at Hey Lady! Hey Lady! is an online community for women. We'll help you to meet new speaking partners and practise real conversations in English.
We offer a free trial so that you can experience everything on offer in a full membership and it's free for ten days. I've put the link down in the description below so that you can start your free trial today.
As we go through the questions you'll see a little countdown timer which is going to show you how long you have to answer that question. Grab your notebook, grab a pen, make sure you take note of the ones that you get wrong and let's get started!
1. Sally _____ to school every day.
b) to go
Answer: Sally goes to school every day.
2. I’m sorry! Stop being so angry _______
a) to me
b) with me
c) against me
Answer: I'm sorry! Stop being so angry with me.
3. Some people are really afraid _______.
a) for spiders
b) of spiders
c) about spiders
Answer: Some people are really afraid of spiders.
4. After I _____ my coffee, I stood up to leave.
Answer: After I drank my coffee, I stood up to leave.
5. Are you all enjoying yourself?
a) Yes, we are having.
b) Yes we're.
c) Yes, we are.
Answer: Yes, we are.
6. Does it get hot here in summer?
a) Yes, it is.
b) Yes, it's not.
c) Yes, it does.
Answer: Yes, it does.
7. I do yoga _____ Monday _____ 8am.
a) at … by
b) in … on
c) on … at
Answer: I do yoga on Monday at 8am.
8. I don't have any ______ money.
Answer: I don't have any more money.
9. Amanda is ________ Steve
a) more short than
b) shorter than
c) shorter that
Answer: Amanda is shorter than Steve.
10. We enjoy ______ the beach on the weekend.
a) to visit
b) when viist
Answer: We enjoy visiting the beach on the weekend.
11. How _______ of nuts do you want?
a) many packets
b) much packets
c) many packets
Answer: How many packets of nuts do you want?
12. Margaret's been married _____ she was 17.
Answer: Margaret's been married since she was 17.
13. We have known each other ____ many years.
Answer: We have known each other for many years.
14. Tom _______ shorts all the way through winter!
a) used to wear
b) use to wear
c) used to wearing
Answer: Tom used to wear shorts all the way through winter
15. If I go to the party, I _____ pick you up on the way.
Answer: If I go to the party, I will pick you up on the way.
Okay how are you doing so far? We're gonna move on to the next set of questions now. We're gonna take things up a notch. These questions are at the B1, B2 levels. That's intermediate, upper-intermediate level. They'll get progressively more challenging.
16. You haven't seen him perform on stage, ______?
a) did you?
b) can you?
c) have you?
Answer: You haven't seen him perform on stage, have you?
17. I prefer spending time with people who ______ me.
b) who respect
c) which respect
Answer: I prefer spending time with people who respect me.
18. It's not _____ mine.
a) same like
b) the same as
c) the same like
Answer: It's not the same as mine.
19. I don't need to be back at work until three so we _____ enough time to visit the gallery.
a) must spend
b) should have
c) can spend
Answer: I don't need to be back at work until three so we should have enough time to visit the gallery.
20. Since we live and work together, we see _____ every hour of every day!
a) the other one
b) each other
c) another one
Answer: Since we live and work together, we see each other every hour of every day!
21. He _____ visited China before I met him.
a) might be able to visit
b) might have visited
c) might visit
Answer: He might have visited China before I met him.
22. If you had told me you needed a lift, I ______ earlier.
a) have left
b) would have left
c) would leave
Answer: If you had told me you needed a lift, I would have left earlier.
23. He lives on _______ of the country.
a) another side
b) other side
c) the other side
Answer: He lives on the other side of the country.
24. My brother ______ my car over the weekend.
a) borrowed me
b) lent me
c) borrowed my
Answer: My brother borrowed my car over the weekend.
25. It was ____ a beautiful sunset.
c) such as
Answer: It was such a beautiful sunset.
26. Has she ____ to me about it?
a) said to
Answer: Has she spoken to me about it?
27. You had better _____ for a new job.
a) to start looking
b) start looking
c) to start to look
Answer: You had better start looking for a new job.
28. Sally: I don’t like catching the bus.
a) Either do I.
b) Neither do I.
c) Me too.
Answer: Neither do I.
29. I _____ in Penang for a year before I even tried assam laksa.
a) have lived
b) have been living
c) had been living
Answer: I had been living in Penang for a year before I even tried assam laksa.
30. ________________ is where you get all your energy from!
a) That amazes me
b) What amazes me
c) It amazed me
Answer: What amazes me is where you get all of your energy from!
Woohoo! So you've made it to the last section of this test. If these questions are starting to get a little trickier that's because they are.
We're starting to focus on some common expressions and some fixed phrases so you'll need to have a really good understanding of English to confidently move through this next section.
Now if you're not super confident about your answer if you just take a lucky guess and you happen to get it right good for you but still make sure you add a little star next to that question and just decide if you really should count it as an accurate answer.
Just do it for you. You're doing this test for you, no one else needs to find out about how it was or if you got all of them right, just be truthful to yourself, okay?
31. ___ the whole, I think you provided a good summary of what transpired today.
Answer: On the whole, I think you provided a good summary of what transpired today.
32. I agree with you to a ____ but there has to be more to the story.
Answer: I agree with you to a point but there has to be more to the story.
33. We had made plans to drive Granny to the hospital together. And then for no apparent ____, Samuel decided not to come!
Answer: We had made plans to drive Granny to the hospital together. And then for no apparent reason, Samuel decided not to come!
34. An electric car is a really _____ way of driving across Australia because they don't require as much fuel.
Answer: An electric car is a really economical way of driving across Australia because they don't require as much fuel.
35. This kind of web application, which is often used by remote teams, _____ the opportunity for informal interactions throughout the working day.
Answer: This kind of web application, which is often used by remote teams, provides the opportunity for informal interactions throughout the working day.
36. There's no ____ trying to get everything done today. We'll just need to finish it off in the morning.
Answer: There's no point trying to get everything done today. We'll just need to finish it off in the morning.
37. I had expected the airport to be deserted. But _____, I'd never seen it so crowded!
a) In contrast
b) On the contrary
Answer: I had expected the airport to be deserted. But on the contrary, I'd never seen it so crowded!
38. Thank you so much for helping us get organised before we depart. ______, let me buy you dinner to show my appreciation.
a) At the very least
b) Last but not least
c) At last
Answer: Thank you so much for helping us get organised before we depart. At the very least, let me buy you dinner to show my appreciation.
39. I would ask you to stop using such ____ language, you're offending our guests.
Answer: I would ask you to stop using such strong language, you're offending our guests.
40. I know you're excited to get started but it's a delicate negotiation. Let's just take it ____.
a) one step ahead
b) one step at a time
c) two steps ahead
Answer: I know you're excited to get started but it's a delicate negotiation. Let's just take it one step at a time.
41. I've read this article three times over and I'm still not sure what it's _____.
a) getting at
b) aiming for
c) pointing for
Answer: I've read this article three times over and I'm still not sure what it's getting at.
42. He will ____ not be invited to our wedding. After the way he treated Martha, he's not welcome.
c) no way
Answer: He will certainly not be invited to our wedding. After the way he treated Martha, he's not welcome.
43. When in social situations, try to avoid using technical _____ when you're talking about your work.
Answer: When in social situations, try to avoid using technical jargon when you're talking about your work.
44. The two parties had such differing views, they required a mediator to help _____ their differences.
Answer: The two parties had such differing views, they required a mediator to help settle their differences.
465. Mary has some quirks. ______, I quite like spending time with her.
a) Even if
b) Even so
c) Even said
Answer: Mary has some quirks. Even so, I quite like spending time with her.
Well done for making it all the way through! Why don't you tally up your answers and see how you went? If you want to, let me know down in the comments.
Let's just jump on to the last part of this lesson. I want to talk to you.
Here's the thing. I despise English levels. Your English level on paper, the results that you get from a test is really helpful. It's useful to know that information but they do not define who you are or what you're capable of doing in the future and so often the way that we think about our results or the way that we think about ourselves after we get those results actually stops us from improving or moving forward.
It really messes with our self-belief and it messes with our self-esteem and our motivation to keep going, to continue and sometimes it's that thinking that convinces us to give up or to reduce our ambitions, to settle for less you know. I was aiming for this and I don't think that I can do it.
I am very lucky to know many, many incredible English students and I can confirm that those who score well on paper are not always the best communicators and that intermediate English speakers can be vibrant and effective communicators as well. Even if they don't have the vocabulary range or the accuracy with their grammar, they can still use the language that they have to communicate clearly and to communicate well.
So now that you have completed this English test make sure please for goodness sake, please make sure you take note of the questions that you got wrong including the ones that you just took a lucky guess and you got right. And learn from them. This is the opportunity that you have right now.
Thank you for stopping by at mmmEnglish today. If you liked this video make sure you give it a thumbs up and you subscribe to the channel for more English lessons in the future.
I will see you next time!